What is personal information?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. It includes information that could be used to identify you, such as your name and contact details. If the information we collect personally identifies you, or you are reasonably identifiable from it, the information will be considered personal information.
If you choose to use our service, then you agree to the collection and use of information in relation with this policy. The personal information that we collect is used for providing and improving the service.
Collection of your personal information
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect it in various ways, including:
- Through your access and use of our website
- By telephone, letter, fax or email
- During conversations between you and our representatives
- Via social media platforms, such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram
- By contracting with us or completing relevant forms
- By entering competitions, promotions or requesting information or material from us
- Completing surveys, providing feedback or complaining to us
In some circumstances information may also be collected from third parties where:
- You authorise the collection of information from a third party which may be your representatives such as a lawyer, accountant or employer; and
- The information is already publicly available; and
- Collection is necessary to enforce the law, or for court proceedings, or to protect public revenue.
You can use the site including completing user research tasks without disclosing any personal information.
For what purposes do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information to:
- Provide products and services to you and to send communications requested by you.
- Answer enquiries and provide information or advice about existing and new products or services.
- Assess the performance and improve the operation of our website.
- Assist with the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control, survey and research purposes of GBPensions Limited, related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers.
- Update our records and keep your contact details up to date.
Secondly, if you do decide to deal with GBPensions Limited to assist with your pension transfer/s and investment recommendations, other personal details are collected, such as details of your current pensions schemes, detailed personal information and other details relevant to the pension transfer/s and investment recommendations. This allows the correct documentation and process to take place for the transfer of your pension. GBPensions Limited may also collect publicly available information about you, for example, from websites and telephone directories.
Your disclosure of personal information
In order to comply with laws and regulations, including any New Zealand or overseas laws, rules or regulations, we may use and share your personal information with a range of organisations, including:
- Authorities, such as regulators
- Government agencies
- Courts or the police
- External dispute resolution schemes
- Suppliers and services that may be required to administer our relationship with you, such as IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, debt collectors
- Professional advisors, such as lawyers, accountants, financial advisers, bankers and other consultants relating to the services provided to you
- People of organisations that you expressly give permission to share your personal information with
Links to other sites
Statistical information and cookies
We may collect statistical information about your visit to help us improve our website. This information is aggregated and does not identify you personally. It includes:
- Your IP address
- The search terms you used
- The pages you visited on our site and the links you clicked on
- The date and time you visited our site
- The referring site (if any) from which you clicked through to our site
- Tour operating system, for example Windows XP, Mac OS X
- The type of web browser you use, such as Internet Explorer, Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
- Other things, like your screen resolution and the language setting of your browser
This site generates persistent session cookies (that is, they have an expiry date and are removed on that date) for the purpose of monitoring site usage. The cookies don’t collect personal information. You can disable them or clear them out of your web browser without affecting your ability to use the site.
Use of statistical information
The statistical information referred to above can be viewed by site administrators and certain other analysis personnel contracted to GBPensions Limited.
Storage of personal information
We may hold your personal information in electronic formats or in hard copy at our offices as noted on the website OR at premises outside our offices, including data storage facilities or online storage located within or outside New Zealand, which may be operated by independent service contractors.
Where your personal information is transferred outside New Zealand we will ensure the intended recipient has provided appropriate safeguards and that requisite rights and remedies in relation to the personal information remain available, or we will obtain your explicit consent for the transfer.
Management of personal information
We take reasonable steps to securely store your personal information to ensure it is protected from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure, and from other types of misuse, interference and loss. This includes electronic and physical security measures and procedures, staff training and use of password protection software.
We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your personal information when we no longer require it for any purpose for which it was collected. We may retain your personal information for as long as necessary to comply with any applicable law, for legal, insurance and corporate governance purposes, for the prevention of fraud and to resolve disputes. Your personal information may also be retained in our IT system back-up records.
The transfer of data over the Internet is inherently insecure. We cannot guarantee the security, during transmission, of any personal information provided to us via our websites. Please bear this in mind when transmitting information by this means to us.
Correcting your personal information
Under the Privacy Act 2020, you have the right to access and ask us to correct any of your personal information provided to us in connection with your use of this site.
Contact us if:
- You would like to see or change your personal information we have stored, or
- You have any concerns regarding your privacy.
We may require proof of your identity before being able to provide you with any personal information.
Under the Privacy Act 2020, we may be permitted to charge you a reasonable fee for providing access to your personal information. Please note that no fee will be incurred for requesting access, and, if your request for access is accepted, we will inform you of the fee (if any) that will be payable for providing access if you proceed with your request.
Contact our privacy officer at:
tel: +64 (0)9 414 2089
If you have a privacy complaint
If you are not satisfied with our response to any privacy-related concern you may have, you can contact the Privacy Commissioner.
Contact details for the Office of the Privacy Commissioner can be found at: